This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Need help setting StackHash at my organization...

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:13 AM
Edited Sep 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Hi There, Need help setting up StackHash. Followed the documentation to set this up but still getting errors.

System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[StackHash.StackHashService.ReceiverFaultDetail, StackHash, Version=1.30.20011.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]
Detail: StackHash.StackHashService.ReceiverFaultDetail
Action:
Code: System.ServiceModel.FaultCode
Message: A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - The pipe is being closed.)
Reason: A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - The pipe is being closed.)
Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
InnerException:
TargetSite: Void HandleReturnMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage)
StackTrace:
Server stack trace:
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at StackHash.StackHashService.IAdminContract.ActivateStackHashContext(ActivateStackHashContextRequest requestData)
   at StackHash.ClientLogic.WorkerActivateStackHashContext(WorkerArgActivateStackHashContext arg)
HelpLink:
Source: mscorlib

StackHash 1.30.20011.2
Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\StackHash\StackHash.exe"
Current Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\StackHash
Framework: 4.0.30319.1
Machine Name: WIN-2SU8C4U7N6J
x64: True
Processors: 1
Current Culture: en-US
Current UI Culture (for current thread): en-US
Administrator: False

Service Error Code: UnexpectedError

Thanks

Dinesh

PS: Not familiar with setting up databases.

========================================

I did get success during setup to connect to WinQual (can login successfully via website) but now am getting

StackHash.AdminReportException
Message: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database "test108" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at StackHashSqlControl.SqlUtils.CreateConnection(Boolean master)
   at StackHashSqlControl.SqlUtils.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(DbCommand sqlCommand)
   at StackHashErrorIndex.SqlCommands.GetTaskControlData(StackHashTaskType taskType)
   at StackHashErrorIndex.SqlErrorIndex.GetTaskStatistics(StackHashTaskType taskType)
   at StackHashTasks.Task.UpdateTaskCompletedStatistics(IErrorIndex index)
   at StackHashTasks.Task.SetTaskCompleted(IErrorIndex index)
Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
InnerException:
TargetSite:
StackTrace:
HelpLink:
Source:

StackHash 1.30.20011.2
Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\StackHash\StackHash.exe"
Current Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\StackHash
Framework: 4.0.30319.1
Machine Name: WIN-2SU8C4U7N6J
x64: True
Processors: 1
Current Culture: en-US
Current UI Culture (for current thread): en-US
Administrator: False

Service Error Code: UnexpectedError

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:41 AM

Hi,

Have you checked the help file? There is a page covering different database connection scenarios and the steps to enable each. If this doesn't get you up and running post more about your configuration and I'll try to help.

Rob

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:38 AM
Edited Sep 20, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Thanks Rob.

Yes I have read the documentation in the help file. Unfortunately I don't am not familiar with DB configuration. I have tried changing the service log on as but without luck. I also tried changing security settings on the folder where the mdf file is created (and cab will be downloaded)
I am running Win7 in a VMWare Fusion on a MacBook Pro. Brand new image (professional x64 created today). Also downloaded MSSQL 2008 R2 Express so I don't have existing DB. Also installed .NET 4 client profile. Also got Live ID assistant (and Live Messenger). The error is for running StackHash for the first time.
My plan is to move the setup to my build & install team once I have proven things will work for us. I am also interested in the fogbugz integration once I have this working.
Appreciate all the help I can get here. Thanks.
Dinesh

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Hi Dinesh,

Database connection problems are often caused by not having permission to perform some action on the server. More detailed information should be given in the StackHash service log. When you say you have not had any luck with the service log, what do you mean exactly? You can turn the service log on in Tools/ServiceOptions/TroubleShooting and check the box to generate the StackHash service log.

Try to run the StackHash client again and check that the service is running (in Service Control Manager). Then when the crash occurs again, close the StackHash client again and go to c:\program data\StackHash\logs and check the most recent log file generated. You are looking for a more specific SQL error.

Either way...

When you installed SQL Server 2008 R2, did you install the manage tools too? If not, do so, it contains a tool to configure permissions for Sql databases (I think this is the link you want http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22985).

Once installed, load up SQL Server Management Studio.

Expand Security/Login and ensure that there is an entry for NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. Once created, double click it and select Server Roles - make sure the sysadmin is checked.

Now try running StackHash again.

Mark

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Thanks. Did some 'log on' as changes and now it it seems to be synchronizing (Service: Synchroning)... Will keep you'll posted. Thanks

Dinesh

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Cool. Can you add the details of what you did to get it working here exactly so it might help others. Many thanks.

Mark