This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Winqual retirement

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Hello,

As you might know, the Winqual site is retired now and will soon be replaced by the new Dev-Center Dashboards (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh770506).

Will StackHash work with these new Dashboards or do you have any plans to support them?

Thank you.

Developer
Feb 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I asked microsoft back in the fall when this was announced (whether they were changing the API). As you might expect, I heard nothing.

However, I am preparing for the worst and am setting up to see if I can build stackhash -- so if I need to change it, I will be (technically) able to.

Philip

Developer
Feb 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I tried to check out the source code using SVN, but it fails after the first 20MB. I've prodded the codeplex administrators.....

Philip

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Philip,

We used the TFS binding, maybe that would work. Could also look at converting to Mercurial.

Rob

Developer
Feb 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Excellent. That worked. For anybody else who tries:

Once you connect to the TFS server and map the tree to a local directory, then you do the following:

* make sure that you are running in a command shell from a reasonably modern visual studio (I used 2010)

* subst r: <directory you mapped the source tree into>      -- this should contain stackhash and 3rdparty directories

* cd r:\stackhash\codeplex

* buildall -d

After a few (6 in my case) minutes (and various error messages about services etc), it completed. A working version of the stackhash client was found in

* R:\stackhash\Client\StackHash\Debug\stackhash.exe

This is really encouraging.   

Apologies if this information is in some readme somewhere.

Philip

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Hi Phillip,

Have you been able to change StackHash to support Winqual changes?

Please, let us know

Thanks!

https://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-us/desktop/

Developer
Feb 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I have asked (again) what the new API is. I do note that the new version of winqual is now available, but most of the data appears to be missing. I guess that they haven't finished the data migration yet.

Philip

Developer
Feb 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I have now got a copy of some sample code from Microsoft to access the new service. I have asked them a bunch of questions, but I suspect that the conversion work on stackhash will be significant. The good news is that the sample code is in C#, so no conversion issues there!

Philip

Developer
Mar 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM

There is a draft document that describes the new APIs for getting the failure information and the associated cab files. It should be published within a couple fo weeks or so. However, you can reach out to Kevin Kill (khill at microsoft.com) or Darren McKenzie (darrenm at microsoft.com) and they will send you a copy of the current version.

It seems to me that there are two paths forward:

* Modify the stackhash tool so that it talks the new protocol (which seems *much* faster) and make the appropriate changes to the database schema as some of the key fields have changed (for example, a CabId is now a string of 34 hex digits rather than an integer; a failure (sort of like the old event) is keyed by product and a long string)

* Rebuild a tool that is more focused on what I need to do and which doesn't need to duplicate most of the convenience features provided by stackhash. 

I'm interested in what anybody else thinks.....

Philip

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM

We have built some processes around the Stackhash service and UI so I would vote for modifying the Stackhash code to support the new API and schema.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I vote for modifying Stackhash to support new API and schema.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Has anyone been able to make any progress on this? While I am seeing CABs coming in on the new WinQual site, I'm finding it fairly difficult to extract any useful data. StackHash got me spoiled. :-(

I won't say I'm getting desperate (yet), but i do have far less hair since the switchover.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Pete 

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I'm in the same boat - have been keeping an eye on this site - but haven't seen any progress either.

Adam

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Same here! I got extremely spoiled by our wonderful StackHash tool!!!

Any suggestion on how we can expedite this conversion?

Thanks

Developer
Apr 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I must confess that I just ended up writing a perl script to try and rebuild the bridge that we had built between WER and our internal bug reporting system.

I took the sample code that Microsoft provided and hacked on it very slightly so that it would take a list of objects to retrieve on stdin and write tthose objects to stdout. Then I wrapped it in a perl script that talks to a simple database to only download the CABs for products that are interesting to me (we chop off old versions of software). This then invokes the stackhash plugin script that I had written (based on the stackhash provided command line plugin) which then inserts the cabs into our database.

However, the loop is not yet closed as we are having problems with the generation of the new mapping files that are needed. 

On the plus side, our dev team is happy that no new WER cabs are showing up in their queues!

Philip

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Hi pgladstone,

Thank you for the update.

I just fired an email to MS (Darren and Kevin) requesting the sample code you mentioned.

I will try to see if I can get something out of it.

Thanks

May 31, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I've emailed both Kevin and the general WER address several times over the past few months about various matters and received no response. They, and especially Kevin, were always very responsive in the past. What is going on over there?

I miss StackHash!

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Anyone interested (and have the personal time) in modifying the stackhash tool to work with the new protocol and make the appropriate changes to the database schema under contract?  It would be without regard to migration of old data - just get StackHash working with the current API on a new db instance (any back-end for that matter). 

If so, please contact me to discuss. 

Thanks